Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Album Review: Cannibal Corpse - "Torture"

Moosehead is my go-to beer. If I can't think of anything else I want to drink, or I don't really want to get adventurous, its a Moosehead I choose. It's always good, but never mindblowingly so. Cannibal Corpse is my Death Metal Moosehead. Everything they've put out is good, but never anything that makes me put an album on repeat for weeks and weeks. If I don't feel like really listening to anything else, or I'm not feeling listening to something new, Corpse it is. Cannibal Corpse have put out their newest album Torture a few months ago, and I finally got around to listening to it.

"It looks like a masturbating clown at some sort of Cinco de Mayo festival." Dave Hill, The King of Metal

Cannibal Corpse are without a doubt the most famous Death Metal band on the planet, with a career spanning almost 25 years. Over this time they've pumped out twelve studio albums, solidifying themselves as a household name in the genre. The years have gone by and Death Metal has seen a huge popularity surge since the late 80s/ early 90s. It's because of this boom that Cannibal Corpse have backed down from the position of pushing the boundaries and have settled in to just making good ol' Death Metal.

Torture is everything you can expect from Cannibal Corpse, nothing more, nothing less. Sheer, unrivaled brutality, gory lyrics, and top notch musicianship is what you get throughout its 44 minute running time. One thing that makes me a happy little metalhead is that Alex Webster gets to rip away at some sweet bass lines and a jaw-droppingly wicked solo on the song "The Strangulation Chair". Listening Rob Barrett and Patrick O'Brien team up their brutal riff work gives you a serious case of hammer smashed face (I couldn't resist). Pat Mazurkaddflkjlierhwerdsnqrweiewicz (or however you pronounce it) slams away on his drums, driving every blood soaked second of this album forward. On top of all this is George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher being fucking George "Corpsegrinder" Fisher.

Can you believe this man has four World of Warcraft accounts?
Bomb-Ass Tracks

Demented Aggression: The opening track off of Torture is a blisteringly fast song, priming your ears for the rest of the ensuing carnage. I can't help but scream along to  Corpsegrinder bellowing out the chorus.

Scourge of Iron: Slow, grooving, pounding horror. Oh so delightful.

The Strangulation Chair: Bass. Solo.

Overall Score

 8/10

Moosehead is always good. Always.

That's all for now, folks. Keep being Awesome.


1 comment: